The Gates Millennium Scholarships
Since 2000 astounding 17,000 scholars have received over 845 million dollars in scholarships! That is absurd amount of money for one program to give out. It is an amazing opportunity for students to obtain a great scholarship that will help them get the education they are striving for.
What is it?
The Gates Millennium Scholarship’s goal is to increase the number of minorities in education, computer science, engineering, library science, mathematics, public health, and the sciences. The program strives for a more diversified group of future minority leaders for America.
The scholarship provides multiple things, including:
- Graduate Student Funding – For students looking to continue their education in engineering, mathematics, public health, science, and other masters programs.
- General Education Funding – This is to cover any unmet financial needs for students. Instead of talking a work-study job or additional loans, the scholarship would cover the difference in expenses.
- Leadership Development Program – These funds students who need additional finances to pursue a leadership program of their choice.
How Much Can I Receive?
Students eligibility is determined by how much the of their financial burden is unmet. The larger the difference between the schools cost including but not limited to room, board, fees, tuition, book and the amount you have received in aid is your unmet need. The larger the unmet need, the larger scholarship you are eligible for. Between 2001 and 2014 the average Gates Millennium Scholarship was $12,493.
Who is Eligible?
There are specific criteria you must meet to qualify for the Gates Millennium Scholarship. It includes:
- You must be American Indian/Alaskan, Asian American, Hispanic, or African-American.
- A legal permanent resident or US citizen.
- Must have a 3.3 GPA on an unweighted 4.0 scale (or a GED)
- Must have leadership abilities through community service and extracurricular activities.
- Must meet eligibility requirements for the Pell Grant.
- Must be enrolled at an accredited US college or university as a full time first year student.
What Do I Need to Apply?
If you think you are eligible, great! But, before you apply, you will want to gather up all the information you will need. The list includes:
- Your class ranks
- Your class sizes
- Your cumulative GPA
- Your full academic record
- List of leadership roles and experiences
- Employment experiences
- Community service experiences
The Gates Millennium Scholarship is one of the best there is. If you can apply, it’s a must do before you go to school. It can provide you with all your unmet financial needs for all four years. There are not many scholarships that can compare to such great opportunities!